Red flowers are my favorite bloomers in the garden. Just like wearing red clothing, red flowers say, “look at me!” And it sure works for the hummingbirds. I am almost guaranteed to see a hummingbird visit this flower if I wait around for a few minutes.
Major Wheeler Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) will bloom all summer long with scads of blooms that are attractive to hummingbirds, bees, and butterflies. Another attribute for this plant is that it is deer proof. I have mine trained on a white arbor for big impact and would like to try it growing up through shrubs. It has been blooming for 2 months now and shows no sign of stopping. Easy to grow with little care other than cutting out some dead in the spring, it is a sure winner for fences and arbors. It doesn’t require any training either as it clambers up the closest support without tying it in. Why put out one of those fake plastic hummingbird feeders when you can have the real thing?
- Get to Know Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds (hummingbirdlore.com)
- Tiny hummingbirds can be a big, sweet treat this summer (triblive.com)
- A Hummingbird Story… (photography-by-nic.com)
- Diggin’ In: Hummingbirds are a delight for the eyes (miamiherald.com)
- Remember the hummingbird (hopeandhummingbird.wordpress.com)
- ‘Cos I Love the Hummers…. (countrycraftin.com)